Indy Power Rankings for the week of January 6, 2014
- Raymond Rowe-It could be called a career defining weekend for Raymond Rowe as he went 3-0 and not only got ranked for the first time in the Indy Power Rankings, he was the clear cut #1. The big man took his show to Nashville for ROH over the weekend where he defeated Wildman Kongo and Corey Hollis to advance to the finals of the Top Prospect Tournament. If that wasn’t enough, he then went to Inspire Pro Wrestling where he scored one of the biggest wins of his career over Chris Hero. The future looks bright for Raymond Rowe.
- Matt Cage-Last week’s only unblemished member of the top 10 jumps up to the #2 spot this week after a victory over Stevie Fierce at Funky Munky Wrestling on 1/4/14. With a big SCW Heavyweight Title defense upcoming, expect him to be a strong contender for the #1 spot next week.
- Hanson-What a dominant weekend for “The Brand New Bad” as he entered the ROH Top Prospect Tournament and mowed through Cheeseburger and Andrew Everett to earn a spot in the finals. It was a meteoric rise for the big man, so now the question looms, can he complete his quest and win the tournament?
- Sigmon-Much like our #1 this week, it was a flawless weekend for the NWA Mountain Empire Champion as he retained that title at NWA Smoky Mountain vs. Shane Andrews on 1/4/14. He then defeated Jimmy Nutts at Beyond Wrestling’s Sleeper Cell Taping on the same day. If this week was any indication, look for more appearances from him in the Indy Power Rankings in the near future.
- RD Evans-A major surprise in the top 10 as Evans beat Mike Sells at ROH in Nashville, but then followed that up with an unexpected DQ victory over last week’s #1 in Michael Elgin. Could this be his chance to climb up the rankings? Like several others, this is his first appearance in the Indy Power Rankings.
- Drew Gulak-The CZW World Champion returns to the Indy Power Rankings in 2014 with a big victory vs. Shane Strickland at XCite Wrestling on 1/4/14. He has been entered into their annual tournament as well. Could 2014 be the year of Drew Gulak?
- Jason Kincaid-The NWA Smoky Mountain Heavyweight Champion retained his title vs. Jordan Kage on 1/4/14. In addition to that, earlier in the day he competed at the Beyond Sleeper Cell tapings where he defeated Jeff Connelly. This could be just the type of break Kincaid needs as he has been on the IPR radar for a very long time.
- JT Dunn-“The Juice” ventured to New England Frontier Wrestling over the weekend where he successfully defended his NEFW U.S. Title vs. Green Ant in a rematch of their Beyond Wrestling Tournament for Tomorrow 2 Finals Classic. With Shelly Martinez in his corner, can JT Dunn continue to climb the rankings?
- Zach Gowen-The one legged wonder had a week where he knocked off not one, but two members of the Top 10 from last week. At JCW on 12/31/13 he defeated last week’s #6 Colt Cabana and last week’s #9 Jimmy Jacobs in a 3 Way to score his first ranking of 2014. Gowen is on a roll right now.
- Ricky Morton-This would be a surprising name, but it’s not the first time this legend has graced the Indy Power Rankings as he managed to get ranked last year after a huge tournament victory. This time, it was his NWA Junior Heavyweight Title victory over Chase Owens at NWA Smoky Mountain that gets him a spot in the Top 10.
1st Honorable Mention. Matt Tremont-A huge victory at OPW on 1/4/14 vs. Eddie Kingston
2nd Honorable Mention. AJ Styles-A return to the indies and a victory vs. Roderick Strong at ROH
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Categories: Drew Gulak, Hanson, independent wrestlng, Indy Power Rankings, Jason Kincaid, JT Dunn, Matt Cage, Raymond Rowe, RD Evans, Ricky Morton, Zack Gowen