Indy Power Rankings for the week of 5/19/14
Indy Power Rankings for the Week of May 19th, 2014
- Adam Cole-Honestly, there was very little debate this week at the #1 position among the official voters. Cole’s consistent track record over the last couple of months, his holding of the ROH and PWG World Titles, along with his victory over Jushin ‘Thunder Liger (by submission no less) on 5/17 at War of the Worlds easily cemented him as the #1 this week. It is surprisingly his first #1 ranking in 2014, but with the way he has been picking up victories recently, it’s likely to be just the first of many. This was about the time in 2013 that he really started setting the world on fire. Let’s see what the rest of 2014 brings for the champ. #7 in the online poll.
- AJ Styles-The only other option at #1 this week behind Cole for the official voters was a man who has been dominant everywhere he’s gone in 2014. His TNA release has done absolutely nothing to slow down his success rate and this week, he proved it once again after defeating Michael Elgin and Okada to retain the IWGP Heavyweight Title on 5/17 at War of the Worlds. Not one to rest on his laurels, he then travelled to 2CW where he defeated Cheech in a hard fought battle on 5/18. “The Phenomenal One” is looking to get his first #1 to complete his overwhelming recent success. #6 in the online poll.
- Nick Ando-Talk about a guy who has been snubbed by the voters time and time again…and it did NOT happen this week. The 2CW Heavyweight Champion managed to once again go 2-0 on the weekend as he retained his title vs. Kevin Steen on 5/16 and then again vs. Jason Axe on 5/18. He has won 6 straight matches at 2CW and it does not look like he’s going to be slowing down any time soon. Congrats to a hard-working champion on his highest ranking to date.
- Tommaso Ciampa-“The Sicilian Psychopath” makes his return to the Indy Power Rankings after a triple shot where he absolutely bum rushed the competition. First he scored a win at Chaotic Wrestling on 5/16 and then he teamed with ACH & Matt Taven to defeat Forever Hooligans & Takaaki Watanabe on 5/17 at Ring of Honor and then he finished off the weekend by defeating Jaka at Beyond Wrestling on 5/18. Huge weekend for the big man.
- Jay Lethal-The ROH TV Champion keeps plugging right along with win after win. This week he gets ranked again in the Top 10 after knocking off New Japan superstar, KUSHIDA, at ROH/NJPW’s “War of the Worlds” on 5/17. It was one of the biggest wins in recent memory for Lethal (aside from his title win) and it just proves that Lethal isn’t far off from getting his first #1 ranking. He just needs to keep this momentum going for a little longer!
6. Josh Bodom-If there was any doubt that the online poll matters, look at Josh Bodom. He wouldn’t have quite gotten into the Top 10 last week without dominating the poll and after being ranked #9 last week, THIS WEEK he absolutely DESTROYED the poll. 1,007 votes for the RPW Cruiserweight Champion after defeating Kenny Williams at Great Bear Wrestling on 5/17. He is 3-0 the last 2 weeks and while the online poll is not 100% of the final vote, it has helped him jump up 3 spots this week. He is “The People’s Champ” for the 2nd straight week.
- John Klinger-“Bad Bones” was unstoppable in Germany over the weekend. He teamed with Karsten Beck to defeat Absolute Andy & Sha Samuels at POW/wXw’s Catch Roulette on 5/15, then won the 8 Man Semi-Final Royal Rumble the same night (along with Murat Bosporus) and finally defeated Murat Bosporus to win the Catch Roulette Tournament. On 5/17 at POW, he defeated Robbie Dynamite to go 5-0 on the weekend. There’s not much more you can say about his dominance over the weekend. This is his first ranking and likely won’t be his last. #9 in the online poll.
- Uhaa Nation-“The One Man Nation” took his awesome offense to the UK and Germany over the weekend and did what he does best…won. First, he teamed with Axel Tischer to defeat Joe Legend & Carnage in a First Round Tag Match at POW/wXw’s Catch Roulette on 5/15 but then lost in a 8 Man Semi-Final Royal Rumble the same night (won by John Klinger & Murat Bosporus). He also defeated Liam Thomson on 5/17 at Pro Wrestling Elite. Winner of 26 of his last 32 matches. 37-17 record in 2014. He’s a monster.
- Flex Armstrong-The BTW Heavyweight Champion is 5-0 (4-0 this week) the last 2 weeks after beating Bam Shaw in Amelia, VA, winning the BTW Battle Royal, and then retaining his title vs. Salvatore Sincere on 5/16 (he won at TRP last week). With the exception of one day, he has held the title since 6/1/12. He’s been as successful in one promotion (and now more) as anyone on the indies.
- Pete Dunne-The Pro Wrestling Kingdom Champion had a fantastic weekend after some struggles in 2014 so far. He defeated Martin Kirby on 5/16 to retain the title, defeated Dean Allmark at GBP on 5/17, and then defeated Robbie X at PROGRESS on 5/18 to go 3-0 on the weekend. #3 in the online poll.
Honorable Mention. Jay Freddie-3-0 weekend at 2CW and RPW.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Robby Starr-#2 in the online poll with 550 votes (2nd all time)
Mark James-#4 in the online poll
2 Tuff Tony
Aaron Epic-#5 in the online poll
JT Dunn-#10 in the online poll
Adam Revolver-#8 in the online poll
Dexter St. Jock