Indy Power Rankings for the Week of 5/26/14
Indy Power Rankings for the Week of May 26th, 2014
- Michael Elgin (@ROHMichaelElgin)-In the most hotly contested vote EVER in the history of the Indy Power Rankings (in its current system), “Unbreakable” Michael Elgin came out on top. While he did lose to Shane Mercer at IWA Mid-South in a battle of the monsters on 5/22, he bounced back by winning the AIW JLIT 2014 Tournament after beating Eddie Kingston, Heidi Lovelace, Eric Ryan, and Tim Donst & Ethan Page in a 3 Way Final. Not only that, he retained his AIW Absolute Title throughout the tournament. He is also ½ of the AAW Tag Team Champions.
- AJ Styles (@AJStylesOrg)-After being ranked #2 last week, AJ Styles defended his IWGP Heavyweight Title vs. Kazuchika Okada on 5/25 and was successful in doing so. For many voters, that was enough to get him the #1 spot this week. Other voters weren’t convinced and he came up just short of getting the #1 spot this week, but that being said, “The Phenomenal One” continued his dominance since returning to the independent wrestling scene.
- Tommaso Ciampa (@ProjectCiampa)-He was ranked #4 last week and he moved up one spot this week after beating last week’s #5, Jay Lethal, at XWA over the weekend. It was a big “revenge” win for Ciampa that elevated him once again in the Top 10. 2014 has been a fantastic year for him and you have to assume his first #1 ranking can’t be far off. If he can keep this consistency going, it will be impossible to deny him.
- David Starr (@TheProductDS)-While 2014 has been a great year for Starr, it’s been MOSTLY in tag team competition as ½ of Juicy Product, who currently hold the FIP & CZW World Tag Team Titles. On top of that, they went 3 straight weeks at #1 in the Tag Team Top 5. NOW he jumps into the singles Top 10 after defeating Hanson at XWA to become their champion. That makes (at least) 3 titles for the rising star who is forcing everyone to “look at it.”
- Kyle O’Reilly (@ROHOreilly)-As far as title wins go, O’Reilly had perhaps the biggest 2 weeks of anyone in the Top 10 (or Tag Team Top 5 for that matter). After winning the ROH World Tag Team Titles last week and getting ranked 3rd in the Tag Team Top 5, he defeated Adam Cole to win the PWG World Title on 5/23. Unfortunately, while many voters had them at #1 on their ballot at that point, his loss to Zack Sabre, Jr. on 5/25 bumped him down a bit from what may have been a #1 ranking. If the last 2 weeks are any indication, O’Reilly will be making many more appearances in the Top 10 throughout 2014 after finally getting here for the first time this year. #9 in the online poll.
6. Icarus (@IcarusWRW)-Before we get into what he did, let’s just say “Welcome back, CHIKARA!” Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, we’ll send a congrats to Icarus who is now the 2nd ever CHIKARA Grand Champion after defeating Eddie Kingston for the title on 5/25. If he can continue this type of success and consistency (much like some others), he’ll be on the path to his first #1 ranking in no time. There’s a lot of promise in what’s to come for the new champ in 2014. #6 in the online poll.
- Cedric Alexander (@CedricAlexander)-The WrestleForce Champion became “The King of the Carolinas” after defeating long-reigning Caleb Konley for the PWX Heavyweight Title on 5/25 after going to a draw with him the night before. His ranking may have been even higher this week had it not been for the loss to Mount Rushmore at PWG on 5/23. Regardless, 2014 appears to be the year he turns “potential” into absolute and inarguable success. #10 in the online poll.
- Shane Mercer (@theirondemon)-“The Iron Demon” scored perhaps the biggest win of his career when he pulled off a monumental upset against our #1 this week in Michael Elgin at IWA Mid-South. He has been destroying people there recently. Not only that, he won a contender’s match vs. Cash Flo at SWE over the weekend as well. He has been turning heads lately and he EARNED his first ranking in the Top 10. With IWA Mid-South now running weekly and Mercer still at the forefront of TWO title pictures, he may be around the Top 10 for the rest of 2014.
- Ethan Page (@EthanPage89)-It was a BUSY weekend for “All Ego” as ½ of the AAW Tag Team Champions got to the finals of AIW’s JLIT for the 2nd straight year, but this time was upended by our #1 in Michael Elgin. Despite that loss, he did beat Veda Scott, Buff Bagwell (even surviving a Canadian Destroyer), and Louis Lyndon before falling the finals. Impressive weekend to say the very least.
- Kongo Kong (@RealKongoKong)-This beast has taken IWA Mid-South by storm and there was no better evidence of that than when he upset BJ Whitmer on 5/22 in the IWA World Title Tournament. He has been unbeaten in his time there and as the tournament goes along, it’s looking less and less likely that anyone can stop this monster. With wins over the likes of Corporal Robinson and Danny Cannon, everyone better get out of this dangerous competitor’s path. #3 in the online poll with 100 votes.
People’s Champ. Josh Bodom (@JoshBodom). Revolution Pro UK Cruiserweight Champion had a 2-1 weekend and collected 235 votes to win the online poll for a record 3rd straight week.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Hy-Zaya-#8 in the online poll
Carter Mason-#2 in the online poll with 116 votes
Live Wire-#5 in the online poll with 75 votes
Matt Lancie-#7 in the online poll
John Klinger/Bad Bones
Tyler Sexton-#4 in the online poll