Indy Power Rankings for the Week of 6/16/14
Indy Power Rankings for the Week of June 16th, 2014
- Jun Kasai-“The Crazy Monkey” comes to America and dominates! That would be the headline if the Indy Power Rankings hit the front page of any reputable newspaper. For now, we’ll use it here. Kasai has never been ranked in the Indy Power Rankings (mainly due to the rules regarding the same) but he travelled to America this week and won one of the biggest tournaments in North America when he defeated 3 men to win CZW’s Tournament of Death XIII. With wins over Matt Tremont, Danny Havoc, and Masada, he was the clear #1 this week in the eyes of the official voters as he swept the official votes. #8 in the online poll.
- Joey Ryan (@JoeyRyanOnline)-This is the highest ranking for this major superstar yet! The sleaziest wrestler on the indies had a fantastic weekend as he teamed with Tommaso Ciampa at APW on 6/13 to defeat Idris Jackson & Johnny Yen and then beat Tommaso Ciampa at HOH on 6/14. He capped off the weekend by defeating Ryan Taylor for the CWF Hollywood TV Title on 6/15. For someone who is as busy as him, it’s good to see the hustle paying off with gold and a very good ranking.
- RJ City (@RJCity1)-The IWC Super Indy Champion made his case for #1 as he defeated Andrew Palace, Matt Taven by Count Out, and Façade & Sammy Guevara in a 3 Way Match to win the Super Indy XIII Tournament on 6/14. It was definitely a weekend of tournaments, but he stood out and received his highest ranking to date as well. The hardest part now will be to maintain this high level of excellence as 2014 rolls along.
- Matt Hardy (@MATTHARDYBRAND)-It’s been a hell of a 2014 so far for the MCW Heavyweight Champion and last weekend was no different. First he defeated Dylan Drake at APW on 6/13, then he defeated Carlito and Tommy Dreamer in a 3 Way TLC Match on 6/14, and then he defeated Ricky Mandel by DQ at CWF Hollywood on 6/15. The only thing that could have made it sweeter would have made it sweeter would have been taking Mandel’s title, but a win is a win. 3-0 is nothing to be ashamed of, afterall.
- Josef Von Schmidt (@JosefVonSchmidt)-You could rightfully call JVS a title collector and it’s doubtful he’d disagree with you. The PWA International, Wrestling on Fire Heavyweight, FSW Heavyweight Underground, and CPW Heavyweight Champion went 3-0 on the weekend and owned the East Coast once again. His fans also came out to support him in a big way in the online poll as he pulled in 311 votes to come in 2nd this week in the online voting competition.
- AJ Styles (@AJStylesOrg)-The IWGP Heavyweight Champion dropped a little bit this week, but only due to inactivity compared to those around him. His victory over Trent ? at CWF Hollywood on 6/15 was as good as almost anyone else’s victory, but with a week with this much competition and full of so many tournaments, AJ was unable to maintain his place in the rankings. With many, MANY high profile matches on the horizon, it’s inevitable that he’ll shoot into the upper portion of the Top 10 once again.
- Kameron Kade (@kameronkade)-The NEW SCW Cruiserweight Champion makes his first appearance in the Top 10 after beating 4 other competitors in a 5 man scramble on 6/14 and then on 6/15 he defeated Brandon Parker at LiveWire Wrestling to go 2-0 on the weekend. He is 4-0 in his last 4 matches and his consistency paid off this week. #9 in the online poll. With success like that, look for him to start making more frequent appearances as the year goes on.
- Willie Mack (@Willie_Mack)-Oddly enough, for such an impressive talent, this is his first time ranked this year. There’s no doubt that he has entertaining matches night in and night out, but he’s been unable to piece that together and consistently pick up victories this year, but last weekend was a special weekend for him as he won CWF Hollywood’s Red Carpet Rumble and also picked up a victory at Santino Bros on 6/13. If he truly is heading to the WWE, it’s good to see him pop up in the Top 10 before he moves on.
- Lady Lory (@Only1_LadyLory)-In a week filled with big tournaments, don’t overlook the ladies! In this case, don’t overlook Lady Lory after she defeated Penelope, Sweet Saraya, and The Bellatrix World Champion Liberty to win the Queen of the Ring Tournament. It’s his first appearance in the Top 10 and as always, we love to see the ladies impressing as much or more than any of the opposite gender. Congrats to her on an amazing weekend.
- Chris Hero (@thechrishero)-While Hero has not been the most impressive in terms of wins and losses, he added another belt to his collection and in doing so, got ranked once again. The EVOLVE Champion added the CWF Hollywood Worldwide Internet Title to his trophy case after defeating Jeckles on 6/13 on the 5 year anniversary of the passing of the legendary Misawa. His return to the indies has breathed much needed life into the indies in 2014 and for that, we’re all grateful.
People’s Champion. Brian “Lightning Bolt” Johnson- The FWF Cruiserweight Champion went back and forth in the online voting all day before finally pulling away in the last hour to win the competition with a spectacular total of 468 votes.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Billy Black/Will White