Indy Power Rankings for the Week of September 1st, 2014
1. Ricochet (@KingRicochet)-It didn’t take long for the king to reclaim his throne! While he did suffer a loss in a 3 Way Tag Team Match at PWG on 8/29, he then went into full scale domination mode as he marched his way through PWG’s Battle of Los Angeles, defeating Chris Sabin, TJ Perkins, Kenny Omega, and Johnny Gargano & Roderick Strong along the way. What a year for Ricochet as he has won the Dragon Gate Open the Dream Gate Title, the Dragon Gate USA Open the Freedom Gate Title, the HOG Heavyweight Title, the New Japan Best of the Super Juniors, and now PWG’s Battle of Los Angeles. He has earned his place and position back in the #1 spot this week AND the #1 spot in the IPR 100 after his record 8th #1 ranking. #4 in the online poll with 27 votes.
2. Oliver Grey/Joel Redman (@NXTOliverGrey)-Whatever you want to call him, you have to agree that his 2014 has been a success. He suffered just one loss this past week mixed with 6 wins, but before that loss, word is that he had rattled off 40 straight wins. With a record of 6-1 in just one week, it was impossible to deny him a spot in the Top 10 and not only that, a very high one. It was a dog fight at 2-10, but Oliver Grey left enough of an impression on the voters to gain a very good ranking this week. We hope to see more of him in the upcoming months.
3. Brodus Clay @BrodusClay)-This one came out of nowhere. Brodus Clay travelled to the UK after his return to the indies and absolutely dominated the week with a 5-0 record, having now won 6 straight matches since his departure from the WWE. Question marks were raised about how he would fare on the indies and if this past week was any indication, he’s going to do just fine. He came very close to slipping into the #2 spot this week, but at the end of the day, he landed at #3. Pretty impressive for his first time in the Top 10.
4. Kyle O’Reilly (@ROHOReilly)-As good as Kyle O’Reilly is, he hasn’t been ranked much in 2014 (in singles) as he’s been mostly dominating the tag team division, but this week was a little bit different. The PWG World Champion and ½ of the ROH World Tag Team Champions entered PWG’s Battle of Los Angeles, defeated Drew Gulak in the first round, then teamed with Bobby Fish to defeat Drew Gulak & Biff Busick the next night, before finally beating Zack Sabre, Jr. Why was that the end of the line? Roderick Strong’s attack removed him from the tournament and O’Reilly’s weekend ended with a record of 3-0. Still a very solid outing for the double champion and a very deserved ranking as well.
5. Chase Owens (@nwachaseowens)-The NWA Junior Heavyweight Champion was notably absent from the Top 10 last week, either by inactivity or perceived inactivity, but the grinder returned this week after scoring 2 more wins over the weekend. This time he successfully defended his title vs. Michael Hayes on 8/29 and then Sigmon on 8/30. He has absolutely DOMINATED the last few months and we expect that to continue as 2014 wraps up. He’s been flirting with a Top 10 ranking in the 2014 IPR 100. Can he continue to climb?
6. Jay Lethal (@TheLethalJay)-Here’s another big name that hasn’t been seen in the Top 10 nearly enough in 2014. He’s the ROH World Television Champion but oddly, over the last few months he’s suffered a lot of losses that have held him back. This week was different. This week he went to the UK and retained his ROH World TV Title at SWA on 8/29 vs. Tyler Bate and then again in a 3 Way vs. Robbie X and Pete Dunne at Kamikaze Po on 8/30. Hell of a weekend for the veteran star.
7. Johnny Gargano (@JohnnyGargano)-The Top 10 is very “PWG heavy” this week as PWG’s Battle of Los Angeles was a spectacle and much talked about by all fans of independent wrestling. Being a runner-up in the prestigious tournament is no shame and the votes bore that out this week as he slipped into the Top 10 once again with a pretty decent ranking. While he hasn’t had the greatest win-loss record in 2014, he’s definitely been putting on fantastic performances, night in and night out. Over the weekend he added to his great match reputation with wins vs. Chuck Taylor, Candice LeRae, and Trevor Lee before falling to Ricochet in the finals. Not a bad showing at all for the former DGUSA Open the Freedom Gate Champ.
8. Chase Matthews (@ChaseMatthews00)-Here’s another new name to the Top 10. He’s a guy that has been really working his ass off in the Midwest in an attempt to get some recognition and this week, he did just that. First, he defeated Joseph Schwartz to retain the PWAS Detroit Cruisercore Title on 8/29 and then he won a 6 Man Shotgun Match for Freelance Wrestling in Chicago on 8/30. He’s definitely been working hard to get noticed and hopefully that trend continues after a solid ranking this week. Also, don’t forget how important the fan poll is it helped solidify his spot in the Top 10 this week. #2 in the online poll with 63 votes.
9. “Bad Bones” John Klinger (@TheGermanPsycho)-The IPW: UK World Champion had a very impressive weekend and returned to the Top 10 yet again this year. His wins/title defenses vs. Robert Rose on 8/30 and Daniel Duggan on 8/31, may not have been the biggest wins in terms of strength of competition, but any time someone of his stature can take a prestigious title like that and successfully defend it twice in one weekend, he deserves mention. It just so happened that it went beyond a mention this week as he earned his stripes and cracked the Top 10 once again.
10. Drew Galloway (@TheDrewMcIntyre)-The EVOLVE Champion is ABSOLUTELY a fighting champion. When the poll went up, the voters were only aware of two matches for Galloway, but in reality, he went 3-0 and not just 2-0. This may have had a small impact on his subsequent ranking. While he likely deserved a higher ranking, he does get back into the Top 10 this week after defending and retaining the EVOLVE title vs. Johnny Moss at BCW on 8/29 and vs. Andy Wild at WrestleZone on 8/30. He then won a #1 Contender’s Match vs. Darkside at ICW on 8/31. His stint on the indies is looking better every day. #9 in the online poll.
People’s Champ. Tylor Sundae–This was a bit of a shocker as Chase Matthews dominated for much of the day. In the end though, Sundae made a strong run right before the cut off at 10 PM EST and the new BCW Fairs & Festival Champion polished off his weekend with another award after 67 votes.
Others missing out/receiving votes:
Dirty Andy Dalton-#3 in the online poll with 39 votes
Mark Maverick-#5 in the online poll with 24 votes
Flawless Clay Drasher-#6 in the online poll with 23 votes
Kameron Kade-#7 in the online poll with 20 votes
Matt Majestic-#8 in the online poll with 12 votes
AJ Styles-#10 in the online poll with 7 votes
Ricky J. McKenzie
Zack Sabre, Jr.
Tag Team Top 5 for the Week of September 1st, 2014
1. reDRagon (Kyle O’Reilly @ROHOReilly & Bobby Fish @TheBobbyFish)-Three’s a charm for one of, if not the best tag teams in the world as they score their 3rd #1 ranking this week. They had not been scheduled to compete as a team at PWG, but by chance and unfortunate injuries, they found themselves in a tag match vs. Drew Gulak and Biff Busick on 8/29. As they have done in 9 of their last 10 matches, they came out on top. The ROH World Tag Team Champions have definitely hit their groove and it’s going to be hard to knock them out of the top spot on weekends when they compete as a team. Not only that, they are soaring up the Tag Team Top 50 for 2014. Can they reach #1 before the end of the year? #4 in the online poll.
2. World’s Cutest Tag Team (Joey Ryan @JoeyRyanOnline & Candice LeRae @CandiceLeRae)-This tag team got several #1 votes from the official voters despite the recent dominance of reDRagon. Perhaps their quality victory vs. Bad Influence and Inner City Machine Guns at PWG on 8/29 played a factor or just the prestige of the PWG World Tag Team Titles in general, but regardless, their ranking still ends up being a very high one. They are also the FSP Tag Team Champions as they are now one of the top tag teams on the West Coast and they have certainly branched over the last few months. They have a tour of the UK coming up as well, which will definitely test whether or not they can be as successful overseas. #5 in the online poll.
3. The UK Hooligans (Roy & Zak Knight)-They had (quantity-wise) one of the most successful weekends of anyone in the Top 5. It was only the fact that there were some more established teams in terms of previous rankings that kept them from being ranked even higher this week. The new ECTA Tag Team Champions won the first-ever European Tag Team Grand Prix to win those very titles and in the process picked up a very respectable 2-0-1 record on 8/30. With their reputation across the pond, we’d definitely like to see their names pop up more throughout 2014. Time will tell if they can continue this momentum.
4. The Hooligans (Devin & Mason Cutter @BeardedBullys)-As usual, these Hooligans don’t slow down for anything. This week they scored one of their biggest recent victories after defeating Aeroform at Fete Music for Beyond Wrestling in Rhode Island. The PGP, High Risk, and Zero 1 USA Tag Team Champions just keep on rolling. While it wasn’t their busiest weekend in terms of amount of matches, the travel itself would be enough to wear anyone out. They’ve got an upcoming tag title title match against The Forgotten at AIW that has a lot of people talking. Can they add another set of gold to their already large collection?
5. F1rst Generation (James Anthony @87JamesAnthony & Victor Andrews @Im_MrEverything)-The RWC Tag Team Champions finally breakthrough into the Top 5, but it was under a strange set of circumstances. First, give them credit for defeating Syde Effect/Creepy Crawler & Powers/Derek Douglas in a 3 Way Elimination Match to retain the titles over the weekend. The odd part of their ranking is that they came JUST short of winning the online voting competition, BUT somehow managed to sneak in at #5 over Team IOU. Quite simply, they had a tad more support from the official voters and thus, they broke on through. Congrats on their first official ranking as a team! #2 in the online poll with 78 votes.
People’s Champs. Team IOU (Kerry Awful @KerryAwful & Nick Iggy @IggyNJ210)-Get this…they have now won the online voting competition NINE times now. That means this is their 9th People’s Champ award for this Midwest tag team who branched out to Beyond Wrestling in Rhode Island where they defeated Scotty Slade & Oleg the Usurper on 8/31. They came SO close to getting back into the Top 5 this week, but just barely missed out. #1 in the online poll with 86 votes.
Just missing out/Others Receiving Votes:
Crusade for Change
Beer City Bruisers-#3 in the online poll with 26 votes
Shiloh Jonze & Eric Locker
Miracle Violence Connection
Also search “Indy Power Rankings” for our open Facebook group where anyone on the indies can promote their various merchandise, fan pages, and upcoming events
Our Instagram: @IndyPowerRankings