here are the Indy Power Rankings for the week of 2/9/15.
Indy Power Rankings for the Week of February 9th, 2015
1. Sugar Dunkerton (@SugarDunkerton)-Last week he was ranked #7 after a week off and a #1 ranking the prior week. On Twitter he tweeted that he had some work to do at Freelance Wrestling & Strong Style Wrestling. On 2/6 he teamed with Haunter Strange, Kaden Sade, & Josh Crow at Freelance Wrestling to defeat Masked Character, Mallaki Matthews, Bolt Brady, & GPA. He followed that up with a Strong Style Wrestling Heavyweight Title defense vs. Silas Young on 2/7 to retain the title in his first defense. With a 2-0 weekend and 5 straight wins, Sugar Dunkerton is the frontrunner for #1 in the 2015 IPR 100 right now. #2 in the online poll with 43 votes.
2. Akira Tozawa (@TozawaAkira)-After being #1 in the Tag Team Top 5 last week, Tozawa built on his success this week in singles. Much like Kzy last week at Dragon Gate, Tozawa got a ton of support from the official voters who felt that his 4-0 week last week was enough to get him the #1 spot this week. Hard to argue with his recent success as he teamed with Shingo Takagi at Dragon Gate on 2/4 to defeat YAMATO and Gamma, then teamed with Uhaa Nation on 2/5 to beat Cyber Kong and Don Fujii, then defeated El Lindaman on 2/6, then teamed with Uhaa Nation on 2/7 to beat Dia.HEARTS (Kzy & Masaaki Mochizuki) to go 4-0 for the week. With wins in at least his last 10 matches, he has been absolutely unstoppable as of late.
3. People’s Champ. Santana Garrett (@BrittanyTNA)-Florida indies have been a friendly place for one of the best women’s wrestlers in the world as she scored one of the biggest wins of her career over the weekend. On 2/7 she became the NEW NWA Women’s World Champion after defeating Barbi Hayden (who had held that title since 1/25/14) at NWA Signature Pro Wrestling. That HUGE victory combined with her fan support shot her all the way up the Top 10 this week. She’s been mentioned a few times but this is her first ranking. We expect more of that in the future from her as the year rolls along. Her popularity helped her along this week as she won the online voting competition with 68 votes to become this week’s People’s Champ.
4. Demolition Davies (facebook.com/demolition.davies)-What a GREAT weekend for this massive monster. He ran through four matches in 2 nights to become the NEW World Heavyweight Champion as he defeated The Hellvetic Warrior on 2/6, then Adrian Severe on 2/7, then Tommy Blue Eyes, and finally T-K-O to win the title in the Finals for the vacant title. It was an absolutely dominant for this European powerhouse. With almost 5 years of experience under his belt, he makes his first appearance in the Top 10 since we began in 2013. With this type of weekend, it was impossible to snub him. It will be interesting to see what the 6’3” 400 pound big-man can do going forward.
5. John Wayne Murdoch (@johnmurdoch25)-After having a tremendous 2014, JWM had slowed down a bit in 2015 as far as his wins and losses. He struggled in some losses to the likes of Kongo Kong and Shane Mercer, but this past week he got right back on track with a solid 3-0 weekend. The EPW Openweight Champion teamed with Trik Davis, Team IOU (Nick Iggy & Kerry Awful), Owen Travers & Reed Bentley at IWA Mid-South on 2/5 to defeat The Elements of Wrestling 2.0 (Kaden Sade & Josh Crow), Zodiak, Nick Doepp, Zakk Sawyers & Mikey McFinnegan, and then defeated Shank Barzini at CCW on 2/7, and then finally teamed with Reed Bentley the same night to beat The Viking War Party in a much-talked about WAR. This ranking could be just the thing to begin to springboard him into further success. Tied for #7 in the online poll.
6. Reed Bentley (@TheReedBentley)-Reed “By God” Bentley had an almost identical weekend to John Wayne Murdoch but was ranked one spot lower. Why? Difficult to understand why some of the voters went the way they did with these two. That being said, it shouldn’t take away from his weekend as he, like Murdoch, went 3-0 with wins at IWA Mid-South and 2 victories at CCW in Evansville, IN. With a BIG dog collar match coming up vs. JC Rotten on 2/12 at IWA Mid-South’s Heartbreak, he’ll have quite a chance to build on this week’s ranking. Tied for #10 in the online poll.
7. Dave Crist (@OIFK1324)-The latter part of 2014 and the very early portion of 2015 belonged to Jake Crist, but the tide has turned a bit as ½ of OI4K has now garnered some singles success of his own. On 2/4 he became the NEW Rockstar Pro American Luchacore Champion defeated Zakk Spadez, Colin Delaney, Pompano Joe, Flex Jordan, Jeremiah, Alex Colon, Draven, Jerrod Harris, Sid Fabulous, & Zach Wentz in an 11 Man Scramble Match on 2/4 to win the title, then defeated Remi Wilkins, Jeremiah, Alex Colon, Nate Wings, “Black Jaws” Gerome Phillips and Zakk Spadez in an aerial assault on 2/6 and then was part of the winning team in the five-on-five Elimination Ultraviolent Island of Death Match the same night. With a 3-0 record, there’s definitely a good argument that he should have been even higher but with him working weekly on most weeks, you can expect to see more of him going forward.
8. Rampage Brown (@RampageBrown)-GREAT week for the NGW UK Undisputed Champion (and ASW British Heavyweight Champion and 1/2 of PCW Tag Team Champs) as he defeated Charlie Garrett on 2/6 to retain the title, then defeated Robbie X on 2/7 to retain the title again, and then finally defeated Joe Coffy at TCW on 2/8 to go 3-0 for the week. He is truly one of the UK’s finest right now as he has been popping up in the rankings since early 2014. With him doing a little work in TNA, he hasn’t forgotten the indies as he’s still been picking up win after win.
9. Candice LeRae (@CandiceLeRae)-In 2014 ½ of the World’s Cutest Tag Team wasn’t seen in the Top 10 nearly as much as one might expect. In the 2nd month of 2015, she is off to a decent start as the FWE Women’s Champion (and ½ of the PWG & FSP Tag Champs) teamed with Joey Ryan at Freelance Wrestling on 2/6 to defeat Beauty and The Beast (Rob Matter & Stevie Fierce) and then defeated Veda Scott on 2/7 at FWE to retain the title. With a 2-0 record for the week and true popularity on the indies, she made her way into her first ranking for the year.
10. Jimmy Havoc (@JimmyHavoc)-He is the NEW FPW Champion (as well as the Progress Champion and NWA UK Junior Heavyweight Champion) and he gets into the Top 10 for the first time this year after he teamed with Addy Starr at XWA on 2/6 to defeat Lion Kid & Kay Lee Ray, then won the Gold Rush Rumble the same night, then won a 30-Man Rumble Match to win the FPW Title. With a 3-0 record for the week, he is now undefeated in his last 7 matches (6 wins, 1 draw). For the second straight week, the UK rounds out the Top 10 with two solid rankings.
Others missing out/receiving votes:
Tormenta-#3 in the online poll with 23 votes
Kongo Kong-Tied for #5 in the online poll
Shane Mercer-#4 in the online poll with 22 votes
F.O.X.-Tied for #5 in the online poll
Leah Owens-Tied for #7 in the online poll
Mike Outlaw-#9 in the online poll
Mickie Knuckles-Tied for #10 in the online poll
Damien Wayne-Tied for #10 in the online poll
Mohamed Ali Vaez
Timmy Lou Retton
Also search “Indy Power Rankings” for our open Facebook group where anyone on the indies can promote their various merchandise, fan pages, and upcoming events
Our Instagram where we SPOIL the Indy Power Rankings/Tag Team Top 5 #1 every Monday and Tuesday Night before you’ll see it anywhere else: @IndyPowerRankings
Check out the 2nd edition of Tag Team Top 5 Reveal on Elite Podcast Network (with guest “The Sicilian Psychopath” Tommaso Ciampa):