The February 5, 2018, edition of WWE RAW aired live from the Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, IA.
The following recap was written by Eric Lynch and was taken from Rajah.com
– This week’s show opens up with Michael Cole welcoming us to the Wells Fargo Arena. He’s joined by Corey Graves and Jonathan Coachman.
– We immediately go backstage to Bray Wyatt, who talks about how he won the WWE Title in the Elimination Chamber last year. He says there’s just one person in his way: Roman Reigns. Wyatt says Reigns is his nemesis, and he says Reigns is a failure waiting to be put out of his misery.
– We cut to Roman Reigns for his reaction, and he says he has a different definition of failure. Reigns says he’s had his fair share of ups and downs, but when he gets knocked down he gets back up. Reigns says his road to WrestleMania 34 stops with a trip to Suplex City, not with Wyatt. Reigns says neither Wyatt or Lesnar can stop him from becoming the Universal Champion.
– Bray Wyatt vs. Roman Reigns: This one is an Elimination Chamber qualifying match. The opening bell sounds and Wyatt backs the Big Dog into the corner early on. Reigns fires back with a shoulder block and Wyatt taunts him and talks some trash. Reigns charges and Wyatt blocks him with a boot to the face. They continue to brawl up against the ropes, and Wyatt takes Reigns down for a two count. Matt Hardy is shown watching backstage as we see Reigns fights up to his feet. Reigns comes back with a big clothesline and Wyatt rolls outside for a breather. Reigns follows him outside and goes for the Drive-By, but Wyatt counters it and drops The Big Dog. Wyatt beats down Reigns around ringside and whips him into the ring steps. Back in the ring, Reigns fights up and hits a Samoan Drop. Both men are slow to get up to their feet, but Reigns gets up first and unloads with strikes on Wyatt. Wyatt comes back with an elbow and drops Reigns. Wyatt tags Reigns up for a superplex, but Reigns headbutts him away. Reigns slides through the legs and powerbombs Wyatt down. Wyatt kicks out at 2 and then Reigns gears up for a Superman punch. Wyatt blocks it and hits a side suplex, then a senton for a 2 count. Wyatt goes for the Sister Abigail but it’s blocked, and Reigns rolls him up for a 2 count. Reigns hits a superman punch for another 2 count. Reigns goes for the spear, but Wyatt blocks it with a boot to the face. Wyatt hits the Sister Abigail for a 2 count now. Wyatt follows up with some elbows, then goes for another Sister Abigail, but Reigns escapes. They run the ropes and Reigns hits the spear for the win.
Winner: Roman Reigns
– After the match, Matt Hardy hits the ring and waits for Wyatt to get up. Matt hits the Twist of Fate and then gets a “Delete” chant.
– We see Seth Rollins backstage with Jason Jordan. Rollins says this is their final shot to get the Tag Titles back from The Bar, and he says he wants to make sure Jordan doesn’t blow it this time. Jordan says he’s 100%, and that Rollins has nothing to worry about. Rollins says tonight is about what they can do together.
– We see some pre-taped promos from Mandy Rose & Goldust, Naomi & Jimmy Uso to promote this week’s Mixed Match Challenge.
– The Revival comes out to the ring and cut a promo challenging Finn Balor to a tag match.
– Finn Balor & Karl Anderson vs. The Revival: Gallows is at ringside for this one. Balor and Dash start this one off with Dash getting the upper hand. Dash and Dawson trade frequent tags now and take turns working over Balor’s shoulder. Balor finally comes back with a double foot stomp, then Anderson tags in. Anderson cleans house, then hits a suicide dive onto Dash at ringside. Back in the ring, Balor hits the running dropkick on Dawson and follows up with the Coup De Grace. Balor covers for the three count after a short but competitive match.
Winners: Finn Balor & Karl Anderson:
– The Club celebrates their win after the match as The Revival heads to the back.
– Still to come, Kurt Angle reveals the first competitors for the Women’s Elimination Chamber.
– We see Sasha Banks backstage studying the tape of her loss to Asuka. Bayley walks in and asks for any tips for her match against Asuka tonight. Sasha declines because she wants to keep those secrets to herself. Bayley points out that the Elimination Chamber is every woman for herself just like the Royal Rumble was. Things get tense between Bayley and Sasha, then Bayley walks off.
– Cedric Alexander & Mustafa Ali vs. Tony Nese & Drew Gulak: Tony and Ali start off, with Nese unloading with strikes. Ali turns it around and tags in Cedric, then they double team, Nese. Nese comes back now and tags in Gulak to return the favor with a double team. Nese tags back in for another double team then hits a big lariat on Cedric. Ali and Gulak tag in at the same time and go at it. Ali hits a Tornado DDT, but Nese breaks up the pin. Nese gets thrown outside, then Cedric hits a dive on him. Ali hits a crossbody on Gulak back in the ring, then Cedric tags in shortly after and hit a flying clothesline on Gulak. Cedric follows up with the Lumbar Check for the three count.
Winners: Cedric Alexander & Mustafa Ali
– Kurt Angle is shown backstage having a private conversation with Alexa Bliss. He’s on his way to the ring.
– RAW GM Kurt Angle is out to the ring next, and he starts announcing the contenders in the upcoming Women’s Elimination Chamber. He announces Alexa Bliss, Mickie James, Mandy Rose, Sonya Deville, Bayley and Sasha Banks. Angle also announces Asuka vs. Nia Jax in a singles match for the Chamber PPV, and if Jax wins she’ll be added to the RAW Women’s Title match with Asuka to make it a triple threat. Bliss comes out to the ring to interrupt. Bliss complains that she has to defend the Women’s Title in the Elimination Chamber, while the men’s Chamber match doesn’t have a Title on the line. Bliss says it’s sexist that she doesn’t get treated like Brock Lesnar, and accuses Kurt Angle of being a sexist. Kurt says it sounds like she’s trying to weasel out of the match, so he’s going to ask the crowd. He asks the fans if they want to see Bliss in the Chamber, and the crowd pops and chants “yes.” Bliss gets mad and leaves. As she’s leaving, Kurt asks the fans again, and they chant yes again. Bliss does not look happy.
– We see a pre-taped promo from John Cena who speculates about his road to WrestleMania. Cena talks about his Triple Threat match tonight, where he faces Strowman and Elias to earn a spot in the Elimination Chamber match.
– Also coming up tonight: The Miz vs. Apollo Crews in another Elimination Chamber qualifying match.
– Bayley vs. Asuka: The opening bell sounds and it’s all Asuka in the opening moments. She works on keeping Bayley grounded, then they stand up and trade strikes. Bayley finally starts firing up and sends Asuka outside, then follows up with a hurricanrana. They brawl around ringside some more before taking things back in the ring. Bayley fires up and hits a belly to back suplex. Asuka comes back and hits a running hip attack. Bayley drops Asuka’s throat over the middle rope and they briefly fight around the apron, until Asuka gets her back on the mat for a two count. Asuka follows up with a series of kicks to Bayley, but Bayley blocks one and rolls her up for a two count. They trade strikes in the middle, then Bayley goes for the suplex but Asuka escapes. Asuka goes for the Asuka Lock, but Bayley escapes and rolls Asuka up for a two count. Asuka catches Bayley in an armbar and Bayley taps out.
– After the match, Asuka extends her hand to Bayley, and Bayley hesitates but does shake her hand.
– We see a pre-taped promo by The Bar, who says they’re going to take Rollins and Jordan’s heads off for good.
– The Miz comes down to the ring with Bo Dallas. Miz tells the fans to shut up and says the stars are aligned, and 2018 is the year of The Miz. The Miz reminisces over his victory over Roman Reigns and says that was the highest-rated RAW in three years, which he takes credit for. The Miz says tonight he will qualify for the Elimination Chamber, and then will earn the right to face Lesnar at WrestleMania, and will become the first ever Intercontinental and Universal Champion. Apollo Crews comes out to interrupt, and we have a match.
– The Miz vs. Apollo Crews: This one is a qualifying match for the Elimination Chamber. Dana Brooke, Titus O’Neil, and Dallas are at ringside. The opening bell sounds and Crews starts off strong. He hits a big vertical suplex on Miz for a two count. The Miz starts to fight back, but Crews shuts him down with a Gorilla Press Slam. Crews goes to follow up with a standing moonsault, but Miz blocks it with the knees. Crews fires back with kicks then blocks a shot from Miz and hits a suplex. Crews hits a standing moonsault, and then a standing shooting star press for a two count on Miz. The ref backs Crews off Miz, and Miz hits a cheap shot to the knee. Miz drops Crews across the top rope, then hits the Skull Crushing Finale for the three count. The Miz is now going to the Elimination Chamber.
Winner: The Miz
– Seth Rollins is backstage with Kurt Angle and Jason Jordan, and there are trainers beside Jordan. Jordan reveals that he tweaked his neck, and he hasn’t been medically cleared to wrestle tonight. Rollins is furious that he doesn’t have a partner anymore, and Jordan apologizes. Rollins says the match is up next, and Kurt says he will have to forfeit. Rollins doesn’t look happy, but then Roman Reigns walks in and he cheers up. It looks like Reigns will join Rollins for his tag match against The Bar up next.
– The Bar (c) vs. Seth Rollins & Roman Reigns: The Bar’s Tag Titles are on the line in this one. Sheamus and Rollins start off, but Cesaro tags in shortly after. Cesaro gets the upper hand on Rollins, then hits a European Uppercut. The Bar now trades frequent tags to double team Rollins and beat him down in the corner. Rollins fights back and tags in Reigns, who helps him double team Cesaro. Rollins goes for a suicide dive on Sheamus at ringside, but Sheamus catches him and hits a backbreaker. Meanwhile in the ring, Cesaro hits a running European uppercut on Reigns. The Bar has now taken over this one. Sheamus now works over Reigns in the corner, and Cesaro hits a cheap shot behind the ref’s back. Cesaro tags back in now and Sheamus cheap-shots Reigns next. Rollins and Sheamus go at it at ringside now, while Reigns starts firing up back in the ring. Reigns tries to fight off The Bar, but they overpower him and hit the double team White Noise for a two count. Sheamus knocks Rollins off the apron now, and Reigns hits Superman punch on Sheamus. Jason Jordan runs down to ringside and helps Rollins get back on the apron. Rollins tags in and starts cleaning house. Rollins hits a suicide dive and a slingshot leg drop over the top rope, then he follows up with a suicide dive on Cesaro that sends Cesaro falling into the front row. Back in the ring, Rollins goes for a Curb Stomp, but Cesaro escapes. Rollins hits a suplex next, and then a Falcon Arrow for a two count. Jordan trips Cesaro from the floor, which leads to Rollins hits a superkick on Cesaro. Roman Reigns gets in Jordan’s face at ringside now and tells him to leave because they got this. Meanwhile in the ring, Rollins hits a knee to Cesaro and then a superkick on Sheamus. Reigns tags in and prepares to double team Sheamus with Rollins, but Cesaro pulls Sheamus outside to safety. Sheamus and Cesaro get their title belts and look to start walking away, but Jason Jordan gets in their way and they start brawling. The ref sees and calls for the bell. Reigns and Rollins win via DQ, so the Titles don’t change hands.
Winners: Roman Reigns & Seth Rollins via DQ
– We see a selfie video promo from Braun Strowman now, who says he will be the last one standing at both Elimination Chamber at WrestleMania. He tells Cena and Elias to get ready to “get these hands” tonight.
– More pre-taped promos for the Mixed Match Challenge.
– Seth Rollins confronts Jason Jordan in the back and yells that he only thinks of himself. He calls Jordan a son of a bitch, and Kurt Angle interrupts. Angle tells Jordan to go cool off, and then sends Jordan home. He tells Jordan to stay home until he’s medically cleared, and yells at Jordan to leave.
– Nia Jax vs. A jobber: The enhancement talent is already in the ring as Nia makes her entrance. The unnamed jobber connects with some strikes early, but she gets dropped by Nia. Nia hits a splash in the corner, then throws the jobber down again. She hits a running splash on the jobber for the win after a short match.
Winner: Nia Jax
– After the match, Nia does an interview in the ring where she says she’s going to mess up Asuka’s “pretty little face,” and she’ll have to wear the mask to hide her face after Nia gets her hands on her.
– Mickie James vs. Sonya Deville: Absolution is at ringside with Sonya. Mickie starts off strong, but Sonya shuts her down with strikes. Mandy Rose gets on the apron, and the distraction leads to Sonya slamming Mickie down off the top rope. Sonjya follows up with kicks on Mickie in the ring and drops her for a two count. More knee strikes from Sonya, but Mickie fights up to her feet and hits a rollup on Sonjya for the three count out of nowhere.
Winner: Mickie James
– After the match, Absolution starts beating down Mickie. Alexa runs down and pulls Mickie out of the ring for the save. Mickie and the announcers are all confused as to why Alexa saved Mickie.
– Elias is backstage tuning up his guitar.
– Elias is out to the ring next for a song. He sings a song taking shots at Strowman and Cena, and also Universal Champion Brock Lesnar. He’s finally interrupted by Cena making his entrance.
– John Cena vs. Elias vs. Braun Strowman: This one is under Triple Threat rules. The opening bell sounds and the three size each other up. Elias rolls outside as Cena and Braun go at it. Braun drops Cena while Elias observes from the floor. Strowman finally follows Elias outside, and Elias and Cena end up double teaming Strowman. They drive Braun into the ring post a couple times, and Braun is down to one knee. They drive him into the ring steps now, and Strowman goes down. Cena picks up the steps and hits Braun with them, and Elias hits Braun with the guitar, but Strowman still gets to his feet. Cena hits the AA onto the ring steps at ringside on Strowman, then Elias turns on Cena and hits him from behind. Elias brings Cena int on the ring and stomps on him, as the fans duel chants for Elias and Cena. Elias hits a backbreaker for a 2 count, while Strowman sells the AA at ringside. Cena fights his way up and hits the flying shoulders and backdrop on Elias. Cena goes for the Five Knuckle Shuffle, but Strowman runs in and grabs Cena for a running power slam. Braun hits the power slam on Cena but then goes for one on Elias an Elias escapes. Elias kicks Strowman out of the ring, then steals the pin on Cena for the three count. Elias has now earned a spot in the Elimination Chamber.
– After the bell, Strowman immediately hits the ring and slams Elias. Braun hits another running power slam on Cena. The crowd chants for one more, and Strowman gives one more power slam to Elias. Strowman poses on the corner but the crowd is still chanting for more. Strowman steps back down to the mat and hits another power slam on Cena, then another on Elias. Braun’s music hits and he leaves as RAW goes off the air.
What did you think of RAW? Comment below or reach out to us on social media!